1. For each of the following variables in a study, list the one best measure of central tendency you can use to describe the data, and a graph to depict the distribution of values (pick any one if more than one can be used)?
|a) Grades on statistics exam|
|b) region of country living in|
|c) number of hours doing exercise in a typical week|
|d) birth order|
|e) type of music preferred|
2. Fifth grade teacher reports on the reading exam results for the class. The grades were approximately normally distributed with a mean of 70 and a standard deviation of 10, what percentage of students received grades:
a) less than 70?
b) greater than 90?
c) between 60 and 80?
d) what is the mode on this exam?
e) what is the median grade on this exam? ______ 70
3. There are 100 candies in a bag: 60 red ones, 30 blue, and 10 yellow.
(a) what are the odds of selecting a red one?
(b) what is the probability of choosing a yellow one or a blue one?
4. Why is this a statistician’s favorite joke?
1. Statistic Graph/Chart
|a) Grades on statistics exam||mean||Histogram or frequency graph|
|b) region of country living in||mode||Bar or pie chart|
|c) number of hours doing exercise in a typical week||mean||Frequency graph|
|d) birth order||median||Bar or pie chart|
|e) type of music preferred||mode||Bar or pie chart|
b) around 2% (2.27% exactly)
c) around 68% (68.26% exactly)
a) 60/100 = .60 or 60%
b) 10/100 + 30/100 = .40 or 40%
4. Remember Variance and Standard Deviation? Opinion Polls? The true answer is within plus or minus 5 feet in this joke, as someone who knows statistics would say!